RYA NI Board Member Vacancy
The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) is the UK Governing Body for sail and powerboat racing and the UK national authority for all forms of recreational and competitive boating including sailing, windsurfing, motor cruising, powerboating, sportsboating, inland boating and personal watercraft.
The Royal Yachting Association Northern Ireland (RYA NI) acts for the RYA in Northern Ireland (NI).
We are seeking a forward thinking Board Member who can work within a small team to support the development and monitor the implementation of our Strategic plan. The Board is currently made up of nine Directors with one vacancy remaining from our recent AGM. To ensure our Board is productive we have been working to assign roles to ensure we understand the purpose we each have to play in the delivery of the key objectives.
The person we are looking to attract onto the Board should have a passion and a desire to support Boating in Northern Ireland. They should have skills and practical experience in one or more of the following areas: Cruising, Sailing, Motor Boating, and an awareness and understanding of environmental issues in this arena.
Environmental issues are increasingly coming under the spotlight within all organisations, whether commercial, charitable or social and there is a growing raft of environmental legislation which now affects most organisations. The Board Member would be the liaison point between the RYA where there is a wealth of experience and guidance and the boating fraternity along with consultative panels.
- Set up a small working group of volunteers to support this area, potentially from Clubs or Cruising Associations; this would ensure that representation is always available, but not always dependent on the Board Member.
- Experience of public policy issues or of promoting policy
- Ability to understand and follow a brief
- Email and social media skills
- Networking and team building
- Legal / Research abilities
- Similar experience in working groups
What does this Role look like?
The Board meets five times per year with the AGM in October. Non board related meetings can number between six to eight with a schedule of 1 per year to 4 per year.
RYA NI organise a Cruising Conference every two years with one already planned for January 2015. The Board Members are encouraged to support RYA Events and other Sub-committees where time permits.
There is an excellent support structure making this a rewarding and interesting role:
- There is a Strategic Plan in place; 2013-2017
- A wealth of information from RYA subject matter experts, guidance is regularly provided
- Working with a group of like-minded individuals to support the Organisation in reaching its objectives
- Supporting a small but energetic enthusiastic team of staff driving the operational delivery against the KPIs set out in the strategy
- Training is available in Green /Blue initiatives or other areas of interest.
- Being on the Board provides opportunities to contribute to the wider areas covered by RYA NI.
If you have the necessary qualities and experience and can demonstrate a commitment to our values and objectives, we would like to hear from you.
A full induction programme will be given to the successful applicant. Whilst positions are unremunerated, reasonable expenses will be paid.
Please forward your CV with two references, preferable from a Club or similar Association to:
House of Sport
2a Upper Malone Road
Or email a copy to [email protected]
A short cover letter as to why you wish to support the RYA as a Board Member would be appreciated.
The Closing Date for applications is 4pm Monday 16th February 2015
For general information go to http://www.rya.org.uk/cruising/Pages/default.aspx or http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/planningenvironment/Pages/default.aspx