The North West Cricket Union are seeking applications for a General Manager
The North West Cricket Union (NWCU) is the governing body for the game at both performance and participation levels throughout the North West of Ireland, representing the interests of both the men’s and women’s game. In an initiative funded by International Cricket Council and Sport NI and as part of the Cricket Ireland’s development strategy the NWCU is seeking to employ a General Manager.
The governance of cricket at a National level has been transformed and has been a critical enabler in the success story that is Irish cricket in recent times. This and the successful establishment of the Inter-Provincial series in 2013 is a key building block towards the long-term vision of Ireland becoming a test nation by 2020. This has placed a focus on how best to structure the administration of the game between Cricket Ireland (CI) and the three provincial unions competing currently in the Inter-Pro Series (Leinster Cricket Union, Northern Cricket Union, and NWCU).
Aside from supporting their teams in competing in the Series, there is a requirement for the Provincial Unions to increase their organisational capability to effectively play their role in the development of the game on the island. It has also highlighted both a demand and necessity for the professionalisation of each union. Therefore the NWCU is in the process of providing adequate governance and administrative structures to oversee the scale and scope of its activities in order to better service the club game in the region.
Where previously the remit of our union could be managed through a dedicated group of volunteer resources, it is evident that this volunteer base will, in addition, require dedicated professional resource to fulfil their increasing remit. Hence the need for the NWCU to employ a General Manager (GM) to lead the development of cricket in the region, whilst assisting in putting in place the governance structures described above.
The primary objective of the General Manager is to take forward the implementation of the Provincial Union’s [hereafter referred to as the ‘Union’] Strategic Plan and the effective and efficient conduct of the Union’s day-to-day business.
Within this framework, the General Manager is responsible for:
- The overall strategic and operational management of the Union, in accordance with strategies, policies and plans approved by the Union’s Board
- Leading and inspiring the Union’s existing paid and volunteer workers; recruiting or procuring the recruitment of new employees; giving them direction and leadership toward the achievement of the Union’s aims and objectives; working with CI on the transition of staff from employment under Cricket Ireland (CI) auspices to employment by the Union
- Raising the profile of the Union and attracting increasing financial support from commercial sources, statutory agencies and any other reputable source which may include, but are not exclusive to membership schemes, affiliation schemes, high net-worth individuals or income derived through the hosting of matches
- Making proposals to the Board and/or relevant sub-committees – either personally or through the Union’s management team – on organisational arrangements and structures, and any other matter relating to the Union
Strategic Planning and General Management
- Strategic Plan – exercise lead responsibility for the implementation of the Union’s Strategic Plan, and for the preparation of any subsequent plans if relevant, and update the Board and relevant funding stakeholders on progress thereof
- Operational Plan – prepare an annual Operational Plan setting out key targets and priorities for the year, linked to the achievement of the objectives set out in the Strategic Plan
- Oversee the management of the North West Warriors and other representative teams.
- Oversee implementation of the Operational Plan and update the Board and relevant funding stakeholders on progress
- Responsibility for procuring the delivery and implementation of Union obligations outlined in service level agreements with CI
Financial Management and Control
- Prepare a draft Budget for each forthcoming year, in line with the Union’s strategic and operational priorities
- Report to Board/sub-committee/AGM on performance against budget and other financial matters
- Ensure that effective arrangements are in place for the allocation of budgets and for the accountable management and monitoring of all financial resources
Programmes and Policies
- Facilitate and promote policy development through appropriate committees established by the Board for such purposes
- Ensure that an appropriate participative and consultative approach is taken in the development of policy, strategy and business plans, involving all relevant stakeholders
- Provide progress reports to Board/sub-committees
- Ensure openness and transparency in communications with members, media, the public and all key stakeholders
- Lead on and/or manage all matters relating to communication with all key stakeholders including, but not limited to Union members, other Unions, Cricket Ireland, other governing bodies, public and private funding bodies, and media partners
- Ensure effective two-way communication with member clubs and schools.
- Ensure that the union is meeting its obligations to its members, and vice versa.
- Ensure that the needs of members are being addressed effectively and responsively
- Lead and manage all marketing and public relations activities, with the aim of ensuring that the Union and the game of cricket are presented in a positive light to members, the public, the media and key stakeholders.
- Prepare, in liaison with the Chairman, statements to the media regarding matters of policy
- Act as, or identify, appropriate spokesperson(s) for relevant public communications
Sponsorship and Grants
- Undertake, or procure, responsibility for seeking and negotiating all forms of sponsorship/commercial partnerships, and for managing relationships with sponsors/ commercial partnerships
- Oversee the preparation of grant application submissions to appropriate grant-awarding agencies at local, national or supra-national level
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including volunteer and other resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach potential funders, submitting proposals, and maintaining appropriate records and documentation
- Ensure that all relevant statutory requirements are complied with in full by the Union and that appropriate Corporate Governance arrangements are in place
- Line manage, or procure the line management of Union staffing
- Undertake any appropriate duties as may be specified by the Board from time to time that might reasonably fall within the purview of the General Manager
- Develop strategic relationships with external partners, particularly Cricket IrelandI, counterparts in the NCU, LCU, MCU and CCU.
- Work closely with Cricket Ireland and Sport NI to manage an agreed strategy and set of targets to grow the numbers of people regularly playing cricket
- In conjunction with Local Authorities and County Sports Partnerships, assist local clubs to develop and strengthen local infrastructures through funding, facilities, volunteers and any other relevant support
- Stakeholder management of all key local and national partners
- Ensure NWCU develops leading, innovative, player and consumer-focused participation programmes in order to deliver the targets within the local and national strategic plans.
- Act as the key contact for ICC, Cricket Ireland, Sport NI, Sport Ireland and key national partners with regard to participation, growth and development
- Build networks with umbrella voluntary sector bodies throughout the North West to tap into expertise and best practice in the most cost-effective way to support strategic objectives
- Chair NWCU
- NWCU Board
- All NWCU Affiliated Clubs
- Local Schools and Education Boards
- Derry Midweek League
- Umpires Association
- CI Board (as requested)
- NWCU staff.
- Provincial Union General Managers and Senior Executives
- CI staff.
- CI Cricket Committee & Youth Working Group
- Bready CC (as local NWCU hub and NW International Ground)
- Sport Northern Ireland
- Sport Ireland
- ICC and ICC Europe
- Local authorities and Local Sports Partnerships
EXPERIENCE and SKILLS REQUIRED
|Educational and Professional Qualifications||Essential||· Educated to degree or diploma level,|
|Desirable||· Educated to degree or diploma level specialising in sport or sports development|
|Previous Experience/ Training||Essential||· Proven experience in a Senior Management Role – minimum 3 years.· Experience of formulating business strategy, driving commercial priorities and project management
· Experience (min 3 years) of sports development at management level, ideally in a range of environments including club, regional, state/province/county or national level
· Knowledge of cricket
· Three years’ full-time experience (or part-time equivalent) in line-managing staff, and a record of successfully setting and managing budgets
| Job Related
|Essential||· Knowledge and understanding of game development and growth programmes· Willingness to undertake extensive travel around all-Ireland, and occasionally overseas, and to work unsocial hours including late nights and weekends
· Persuading and influencing skills
· Must be highly organised with the ability to plan a range of projects and initiatives that must be delivered to tight deadlines
· Experience of presenting/engaging/influencing from grass-roots to senior/Board level
· A full clean current driving licence
|Desirable||· Framing and/or implementation of service-level agreements with relevant stakeholders|
|Inter-Personal Skills||Essential||· Excellent written, verbal, communication, presentation and relationship building skills· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
· Excellent IT skills including the use of Microsoft office, CRM systems and databases
· Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills
· Demonstrable leadership and decision-making skills
· Ability to demonstrate integrity and appropriate working relationships
The selection panel reserves the right to consider Desirable Criteria during the short-listing process should candidates remain on an equal footing using simply Essential Criteria
The package will include a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications, skills and experience, and include pension, a mobile phone and laptop for business use. The candidate will need to have access to a vehicle. Standard mileage rates will apply.
This role is for an initial term of one year with continuation subject to future funding.
- The closing date for applications will be Monday 20th February
- A detailed letter of application and full CV should be sent by email email@example.com the subject ‘General Manager’ and will be confidential.
- Preliminary interviews will be held 1st March