Independent Directors – Northern Cricket Union
Organisation: Northern Cricket Union
Salary: Voluntary unpaid
Closing date: 12:00pm on Monday 20thAugust
The Northern Cricket Union of Ireland (NCU), is a regional governing body for the sport of cricket in Ireland. The NCU is seeking to appoint three non-executive Independent Directors. We would welcome applications from individuals with expertise in the following areas:
- Legal & Governance
- Commercial & Sponsorship
- Marketing & PR
The appointments will be from October 2018 and for an initial period of up to 3 years.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help shape the strategy for the development of cricket in the NCU region at a key time in the history of the sport, engaging with a range of partners, funding bodies, a committed volunteer workforce and the grassroots membership.
NON-EXECUTIVE INDEPENDENT DIRECTOR ROLE DESCRIPTION
- To act as a director of the Northern Cricket Union of Ireland (NCU) in the best interests of the Company, with honesty and in good faith towards its Members, employees, principal funding partners, sponsors and the communities within which the NCU operates;
- To fulfil his/her responsibilities under company law and regulation in the United Kingdom;
- To use such personal and professional skills together with such contacts, experience and judgement as s/he may possess with integrity and independence to optimise both the short-term and the long-term performance of the NCU;
- To play a full part in enabling the Board to arrive at balanced and objective decisions in the performance of its agreed role and functions, in line with the NCU Memorandum & Articles of Association and NCU Board Terms of Reference;
- To ensure that the objectives of the Company, as agreed by the Board, are promptly and properly carried out; and
- To act in the way s/he considers, in good faith, would be most likely to promote the success of the Company for the benefit of its Members and the sport as a whole.
- To bring knowledge and experience from his/her professional background and qualifications for the benefit of the Company and the sport as a whole;
- To undertake a role on any Committee of the Board to which s/he may be appointed;
- To work with colleagues to undertake any specific project agreed by the Board to support the activities of the NCU;
- To report to the NCU Board on progress and any other issues which may arise from the work of any such Committee or project; and
- To represent the NCU at relevant meetings, conferences and/or other events, as may be requested by the Board from time to time.
Required key skills, experience and qualifications:
- Professional experience and relevant qualifications in the specified field(s)
- Experience of operating at a senior level in a strategic capacity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work positively within a team
- Ability to develop effective, sustainable partnerships within the sport and with key stakeholders
- Ability to support, challenge and work collaboratively with the Chair, General Manager and Board Directors
Required behavioural competencies and qualities:
- Strategic perspective and vision
- Drive and commitment; and the ability to demonstrate these attributes to others
- Commitment to the sport and the organisation
- Strong intellectual and analytical abilities
- Innovative thinking, with ability to focus on the issues to be dealt with
‘Independent Director’means a director, nominated following an external search process, who is free from any close connection to the charity over the preceding four years.
Independent Directors will be full members of the Board and will attend all Board meetings. In addition, it is expected that Independent Directors will sit on one or more Board committees.
The Board currently meets six times per year. Additional meetings may be required during the year subject to ongoing business needs. Board Meetings generally occur on weekday evenings, lasting around two hours.
Cricket is an ambitious sport, as such we are keen to attract a wider pool of talent to the board to help the sport attract and integrate with a wider participant base, better reflecting today’s society. We welcome applications from all sections of the community, regardless of age, race, colour, sex, marital status, religion, ethnic origin, nationality, disability or sexual orientation.
How to apply
Individuals wishing to discuss the role further prior to application can contact the current Chairperson of the NCU, Alan Waite, at email@example.com the General Manager, Angela Platt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your completed application to the NCU General Secretary, Bryan Milford – email address: email@example.com
Please include a CV and covering letter outlining how you would meet the requirements of the role applied for.
Further information on the Northern Cricket Union can be found on our website www.northerncricketunion.org