Swim Ulster Limited (SU) (originally founded in 1893 as the Ulster Branch of the Irish Amateur Swimming Association) was established in 2005 as a company limited by guarantee. SU is part of the Swim Ireland family and is recognised by Sport NI as the governing body for aquatic sports in Ulster. A non-profit making company, SU operates within the framework defined in its Articles of Association. These identify the members of the company as being drawn from swimming, water polo and diving clubs in Ulster that are affiliated to Swim Ireland. SU has approximately 4500 members in 40 clubs.Swim Ulster is seeking to appoint two Independent Directors to its Board.
Swim Ulster is specifically seeking candidates who are experienced in any of the following areas:
communications / media;
events management; and
An understanding of their application to the sports sector would be an advantage.
Appointments are made for a period of two years with the potential for a further two year term. Appropriate expenses will be reimbursed.
The role of the director will involve constructively challenging and contributing to the development and implementation of Swim Ulster’s business plan.
The successful candidate will be a custodian of good governance and must be independent of the organisation. They must have no pecuniary or material relationship with Swim Ulster or any of its executive, which, in the view of the Board, may affect their independent judgement.
The Board meets six times a year. The General Council (representatives from each member club) meets three times a year.
· To attend Board meetings and relevant Committee meetings as required and contribute appropriately to ensure that the corporate objectives of Swim Ulster, key performance indicators in the business plan are achieved within the budget set for the sport.
· To attend the Annual General Meeting each year, and any other General Meeting that may be called from time to time.
· Where appropriate, act as board appointee to any Committee and undertake the roles and responsibilities set out in the applicable job description for that position.
· Support and participate in appropriate activities, competitions and events as requested to raise the profile of Swim Ulster.
· Prepare appropriately for each board meeting and to keep up to date with current developments in Aquatics and sport in general.
· Participate in an agreed appraisal and review process for board members.
Desirable skills / experience
· Strong Analytical skills and the ability to present own views in a clear, concise manner.
· Board level experience of setting strategic plans and working to defined objectives.
· Demonstrable knowledge of the sporting landscape.
· Previous experience of high level committee activity in a voluntary or not for profit organisation.
· Comprehensive literacy and numeracy skills.
· Experience of good practice in corporate governance.
Specific skills / experience
· Communication and media
· Events management
How to apply
Please send a letter of application. Please include an up to date CV and confirm that there are no reasons why you may not hold the post of a company director.
Applications should be sent to the Board Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
Swim Ulster is an Equal Opportunities employer.